Cosplay — or costume playing — has risen in popularity worldwide. While many fans are happy to rent costumes from a store, serious folk interested in cosplay making will be happy to note that there are cosplay certificates that can teach beginners how to create their own outfits.
Learning the art of cosplay making can be a lucrative venture due to the growing popularity of the industry. A report by Allied Market Research said the global cosplay costumes market was estimated at US$4.62 billion in 2020 and is expected to hit US$23.00 billion by 2030.
This is fuelled by the growing popularity of cosplay conventions, the rising trend of theme parties and television shows, and the increase in the number of dance events at schools and colleges that drive the growth of the global cosplay costumes market.
If you’re serious about cosplay and would love to learn to make costumes or props, either for personal use or as a potential future career venture, the Hong Kong Design Institute in Hong Kong offers some cosplay-related courses.
Learn cosplay making at the Hong Kong Design Institute
The Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI) offers a Certificate in Cosplay Making Techniques, which aims to equip students with profession-specific knowledge and tailoring skills for signature costume pieces in building up costume play styling of total look imagery; and nurture students with costume making techniques, professional working and learning attitude, and to further develop costume design portfolio to be applied in different commercial contexts.
Intakes are in February, March and April 2022.
Upon completion, learners will be able to work effectively as a professional costume maker with the application of sewing equipment and tailoring techniques acquired in the programme; and apply creative design strategic approaches for costume development for cosplay styling, which is to be used in commercial contexts.
If you’re interested in this certificate, apply online.
Learn the art of creating cosplay props
Hong Kong Design Institute also offers a Certificate in Cosplay Props Material, which teaches students to work effectively as a professional costumier with the application of props making, costume props material application techniques; and apply creative design strategic approaches for costume development for props making in commercial contexts.
Intakes are in April and May.
Both certificates have the same entry requirements:
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese languages, or equivalent; or
- Five HKCEE subjects at Grade E/Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese languages, or equivalent; or
- Completion of a QF Level 3 programme that is approved by the respective Programme Board; or
- Relevant RPL qualification(s) at QF Level 3 or above and passes the entrance assessment, which can be done either orally or written; or
- Other relevant verifiable prior learning and/or work experience that is approved by the respective Programme Board and passes the entrance assessment, which can be done either orally or written.
(b) Applicants are required to have at least a year of relevant working experience.
(c) Applicants with basic knowledge of fashion image styling are preferred.
(d) An interview may also be required.
Older applicants, those aged 21 or above will need at least two years of relevant working experience. Applicants may be required to pass an entrance assessment, which can be done either orally or written.
Documents required for application
- Completed online application form
- Upload a copy of academic qualifications
- Upload a copy of previous working experiences
Both certificates will cost HK$4,800.