“We offer high-quality programmes for well-qualified applicants in a very broad range of disciplines, through undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Our research impacts on policy and practice, whether in Knowledge Transfer Partnerships or in other forms of collaboration, on local, regional, national and international levels.” – Professor George Talbot, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science, Edge Hill University
Nestled in the quaint market town of Ormskirk, West Lancashire, Edge Hill University is a TEF Gold-rated institution that teaches with passion and class. With an award-winning 160-acre campus situated near the global city players of Liverpool and Manchester, students here enjoy the very best of British life, with Edge Hill’s ‘consistently outstanding’ teaching and learning outcomes compelling them toward success.
As the largest of the university’s three comprehensive faculties, Edge Hill Arts and Sciences contains a rich mix of academic disciplines. By harnessing the strengths of diversity and detail, the Faculty connects students with first-rate leaders in their respective fields, fostering an impactful environment in which innovation can thrive.
Edge Hill University Business School
Set within a leading-edge, contemporary facility, the Edge Hill University Business School is the ideal training platform for budding entrepreneurs. Staff here are versatile and dynamic, supported by a wealth of professional experience in real-world corporate fields. The school nurtures close relationships with influential professional bodies, providing a wealth of opportunities and informed industry programmes that give graduates a definite edge. Courses include (but are not limited to):
- BSc (Hons) Accountancy: This programme will get you infinitely closer to achieving qualified accounting status, but can also serve as a gateway to a successful business career. Formerly ranked within the UK Top 2 for course organisation and management, the programme tackles the subject from a unique management perspective, fine-tuning student understanding of the role of finance in business.
- BSc (Hons) International Business: As a course that instils the knowledge and expertise needed to flourish in a global business environment, this programme allows students to perform in internationally-commercial and industrial environments. Here, students delve into the fundamentals of accounting, economics, human resource management, marketing and operations management, empowering them through the additional option to pursue a modern language.
- BSc (Hons) Marketing: Focused on an industry that is fast-paced and rapidly evolving, this programme gives you fluency in a central business function. Blending creativity with business theory, analysis and planning, students start to understand the psychology behind consumer behaviour, mastering popular products, compelling offers and effective promotional campaigns.
Edge Hill University Department of Biology
This department uses its intimate size as an advantage, encompassing a tight-knit, talented student community while fostering a faculty that values the individual. It’s a champion of work-based learning which, in turn, drives student success, with graduates making their professional mark on all corners of the globe. The department is currently in the midst of a huge five-year expansion plan, investing in state-of-the-art facilities and a new course portfolio to keep students relevant and engaged. Programmes include (but are not limited to):
- BSc (Hons) Biotechnology: This course rewards a solid understanding of biotechnology, placing students at the forefront of the genetic engineering and microbiology field. Its curriculum crosses the borders of multiple disciplines, incorporating aspects of medicine, agriculture, food science, pollution control and environmental management, preparing students for triumph in an array of industrial employment positions.
- BSc (Hons) Food Science: Covering food chemistry, constituents, production, microbiology and nutrition, this programme gives you the power to climb to the top of a global industry worth billions. You will explore the subject’s latest developments, from how food is produced and processed to how it is marketed and consumed. Graduates ultimately leave equipped with a firm understanding of the industry’s pressures and drivers.
- BSC (Hons) Genetics: As biology’s fastest-growing faction, this course draws on expert faculty and ground-breaking technology to give students a detailed grounding in all aspects of the discipline. By incorporating molecular, cellular and population genetics, as well as complex aspects surrounding evolutionary and technological implications, this programme appeals to anyone with an innate passion for the subject.
- BSc (Hons) Plant Science: Here, students examine the structure, physiology and diversity of plant species, acknowledging their global importance to human health and well-being. Building your practical expertise in line with recent advances, this course hones both practical and research skills in preparation for your future career.
Edge Hill University Department of Social Sciences
Home to more than 400 students, the Department of Social Sciences at Edge Hill is one of the faculty’s most popular assets. Striving to be stimulating at the same time as addressing society’s complex issues, the department produces confident, independent and globally-conscious graduates, all of whom are deemed employable on the universal stage. Courses include (but are not limited to):
- BSc (Hons) Early Childhood Studies: Students here uncover the nature of childhood, examining the relationships between young children and their families, while also exploring the provisions we make for our infants. Specifically designed for anyone with interest in the early years, as well as those wanting to enter or progress in a career involving children aged 0-8, this degree serves as prime preparation for a career in the children’s Key features include field trips in the UK and Europe, allowing students to brush up on their English language skills while developing transferable expertise which is valued by employers.
Edge Hill University Summer Programmes (EFL)
The university welcomes international students to its stunning campus throughout the Summer period with warm and open arms. Summer programmes include (but are not limited to):
- English Language Summer Programme: Regardless of whether your motivation to improve is personal or professional, this course is ideal for anyone looking to hone their English Language skills. It will significantly boost your proficiency and ability to communicate, improving your speaking, listening, reading and writing as you become more confident and competent in the global lingua franca. Students also love the cultural awareness sessions that greatly enhance their knowledge of UK life and culture. Your campus stay will close with an exciting celebratory event, in which successful graduates collect their well-earned certificate and look toward the future with an enlightened perspective of the world.
Pre-sessional English Language Course
The Pre-sessional English Language Course is for those wishing to progress to further academic study at Edge Hill. The University offers the following Pre-sessional course:
- 8-week course
This course is ideal if you need to improve your academic skills, focus on your target discipline area and raise your overall English language level.
“The continued investment in our staff, campus and facilities, the regular launching of innovative programmes and a genuine commitment to provide the very best possible student experience means that Edge Hill is [increasingly becoming] the university of choice for UK, European and international students,” Professor Talbot concludes, “with the Faculty attracting over 10,000 undergraduate applications in 2016, up nearly 20% on the previous year.”