So you’ve been accepted into your dream university in Hong Kong, one of Asia’s leading education hubs. Next on your list is obtaining a Hong Kong student visa – and we’re here to tell you how to do just that.
All international students in Hong Kong require a study permit, whether you’re coming for a full four-year undergraduate course or an exchange programme. Your first task is finding a sponsor, which can be a Hong Kong citizen or the educational institution you’re heading to. Then, both you and your sponsor must submit applications for the Hong Kong student visa, which can take up to six weeks to process.
Full-time university students will be granted a visa for the length of their study programme, for a maximum of six years upon entry. Others can stay for 12 months upon entry and may apply for an extension four weeks before your visa expires.
Documents to apply for Hong Kong student visa
Here’s a list of what you’ll need to submit to the Immigration Department:
- Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (ID995A)
- Your recent photograph (affixed on page two of the application form ID 995A)
- Photocopy of your valid travel document
- A letter of acceptance from the education institution
- Photocopy of proof of your financial support, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips (if the sponsor is the education institution)
If you are under the age of 18:
- One of your parents should authorise the sponsor or his/her relative/friend in the HKSAR to be your guardian. You must produce a consent letter duly signed by both the guardian and one of your parents.
- You must produce a photocopy of proof of your accommodation arrangement.
Here’s what your sponsor institution will have to submit:
- Application for Entry for Study (Sponsor) in Hong Kong (ID995B)
- An undertaking that the sponsor is d to provide accommodation to the applicant during his/her period of study in the HKSAR (if the applicant is under the age of 18)
If your sponsor is an individual, they must also present these documents in addition to the above:
- Photocopy of the sponsor’s Hong Kong identity card
- Photocopy of the sponsor’s travel document (for non-permanent Hong Kong residents only)
- Photocopy of proof of the sponsor’s financial standing, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips; and an undertaking that the sponsor is d to provide financial support to the applicant during his/her period of study in Hong Kong.
Catching glimpses of Hong Kong’s coastal landscape! pic.twitter.com/TIsA9hulx3
– Hong Kong (@discoverhk) August 24, 2020
How to submit your application
There are a few ways to submit your application, specifically:
- Post directly or go through the local sponsor. Send to the Receipt and Despatch Sub-Unit, Hong Kong Immigration Department, 2/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- If you live overseas, hand-deliver the relevant documents to the nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular mission in their place of domicile
- Foreign passport holders residing in Mainland China can submit relevant documents to the Immigration Division of the Office of the Government of the HKSAR in Beijing or the Immigration Division of the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in Shanghai.
For more information, visit the official Hong Kong Immigration Department website.
Liked this? Then you’ll love…