The daily grind can sometimes feel like it’s just a reality of life. Get up, head to the office, pound away at the keyboard for ten hours, make money for someone else, and head home at the end of the day with a sense of relief – repeat until retirement.
I mean, it pays the bills, you get to go on holiday, and it means you can afford that fancy new toy you’ve been coveting – what is there to complain about, right??
If this sounds like an unsustainable nightmare to you, then perhaps you’re one of the people who spends their days dreaming of a job in the creative industries, working on something that provides you spiritual fulfilment as well as financial reward – but you haven’t quite mustered the courage to do anything about it yet.
A change of direction in your life or career can be a daunting prospect that will keep many in the drudging monotony of unsatisfying employment for far longer than it should. But it really doesn’t have to be…
With intensive courses like those offered at Shillington Education, you can acquire the skills you need to go straight into your dream job in a matter of months. The three-month full-time – or nine-month part-time – Graphic Design course is evidence of how easy it can be to make that big change in life.
Here are 7 reasons to study at Shillington Education:
1. Location, location, location – that’s what they say, and you can’t find many colleges with as wide a choice of study destinations than Shillington. With six campuses across three continents, Shillington offers great flexibility for international students, regardless of where you’re from in the world.
Make your mates jealous with beach snaps at their Sydney or Brisbane campuses; soak up the art scene and café culture of New York or Melbourne; or throw yourself into the pumping music and history of Manchester or London – the world is pretty much your oyster. And as the courses are only three months in length, it’s easy enough to get the visas to study in these countries for the duration of your studies.
2. The great news is it’s open to everyone – well, everyone with a burning passion for design, a hardworking attitude and a 100 percent commitment to the course of study. Yep, that’s right, there’s no need to go through a daunting interview or submit a swanky portfolio of work; all that’s needed is an interest in this globally-relevant subject.
3. Learning from the pros is central to what they do at Shillington. Why just learn the theory when you can quiz the people who’ve been there and done that?
Every Shillington class enjoys at least three industry guest lectures from leading graphic designers and creatives so you can develop the most relevant best practices, gain a deeper understanding of project process, pick their brains, learn from their mistakes and get tips on conquering the competitive world of creative design. Not to mention that all teachers are practising graphic designers, so they all know exactly what they’re talking about.
4. And the industry connections don’t stop there; the College has hosted some of the top creatives, design studios and advertising agencies – such as Bob Gill, Adrian Shaughnessy, Interbrand, Pentagram, and UnderConsideration – making them incredibly well-connected within the industry, an attribute that proves invaluable to students when entering the workforce.
And as a Shillington graduate, you’ll not only have the visiting lecturers to ask for guidance, but the whole Shillington alumni network – known as #Shillumni. Past Shillington graduates are now the movers and shakers of the creative world, working with some of the biggest names in the business or setting up successful companies of their own.
5. The intensive learning approach at Shillington means you don’t have to hand over a year of your life to get the qualifications you need. The three-month full-time course equips you with all the skills needed to go straight into the workplace, so you can get on with living the dream faster than you thought possible.
The mix of theory and practical delivered throughout the course means Shillington graduates are accustomed to the tight deadlines, client briefs and expertise needed to be successful in the field.
6. Create the design portfolio you always knew you were capable of! Shillington coaxes out the creative genius you’ve got hiding away inside and hones that raw talent so you can effectively execute client briefs and express that burning fire of creativity.
Here, student work really does speak for itself. It’s remarkable to think that all it takes is three months at Shillington and you too could be creating work to such a high standard.
7. Overseas students don’t pay more! This will no doubt be a relief to many who have seen the often-exaggerated financial burden placed on international students at some colleges and universities.
Well, not at Shillington. Course fees are the same for everyone wherever you happen to hail from, so pick the destination of your choice and pay like a local.
Follow Shillington Education on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo and LinkedIn
Liked this? Then you’ll love these…
Eastern Institute of Technology: A hub for Art and Design
Bath School of Art and Design: Commitment to Creativity, Culture & Enterprise