There are many reasons why many head to the “Land of Opportunity” every year to study economics.
The US is home to diverse communities, top-ranked unis that award prestigious degrees, and perhaps most importantly, scholarships to study economics.
According to US News and World Report, eight of the 10 best universities to study economics are in the US.
These include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California Berkeley and Columbia University.
For students looking to study economics in the US, take note that most universities offer the subject as a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science programme.
The difference lies in the amount of maths classes you have to take to graduate.
A degree here costs an average of US$99,417, according to a report by HSBC in 2018 — but it’s possible for you to spend much lesser than that if you know where to look.
Interested to study economics in the US? Check out these four unis offering scholarships:
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
View this post on Instagram
The Department of Agricultural Economics at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln awards over US$1.5 million in scholarships every year. Recipients get between US$100 to US$2,000 annually.
First-year students can use the general university application to apply for scholarships without needing a separate application.
Some of these scholarships include the A.W. And Edith H. Epp Scholarship, Gary and Gayle Mckenzie and Jay & Dana Lee Scholarship, and Dr. James Kendrick Memorial Scholarship.
The university also offers Student Grant Awards which allow students who are interested in undergraduate research to receive funds.
This award is offered through two different programmes – UCARE and UNL Honours Programme.
Oregon State University
With over 35,000 students at Oregon State University, the campus prides itself to be an international public research university.
The uni offers department-specific scholarships to those studying Applied Economics under the College of Agricultural Sciences.
Both local and international students can apply provided they fulfil the requirements.
Below are some of the scholarships to study economics on offer:
- Susanne Szentandrasi Fellowship: Applicants must be enrolled in or accepted to study in the area of resource and environmental economics and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for all college work. International female students preferred.
- Emery Castle Graduate Scholarship in Economics: This US$2,500 scholarship is awarded annually to receie Applied Economics, Economics, or Forest Resources who has demonstrated excellence as a student and shows promise of performing well as a graduate student at OSU and as a career economist. Both domestic and international students are eligible for this.
- Ermine L. and Norma Olson Potter Memorial Fund: The income from this fund is meant to assist needy and deserving students in applied economics. The amount awarded will vary depending on the income amount and may be given to more than one student in a year.
University of Buffalo
As New York’s #1 public university, University of Buffalo (UB) is a research-intensive public university ranked #124 in the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings 2022.
Students in the Department of Economics can apply for one of these scholarships:
- Joseph W. and Kenneth P. Kogut Brothers of New York Mills Economic Development Award
- Matthew Scarpati Endowed Scholarship
- Economics Sustained Achievement Scholarship.
New students for Summer/Fall 2023 should complete the General Application in order to be eligible for scholarship opportunities in the upcoming year. Read here for the full list of scholarships available.
University of North Texas
View this post on Instagram
As one of the nation’s largest universities, the University of North Texas offers 112 bachelor’s, 94 master’s and 38 doctoral degree programmes.
Those planning to study Economics at the University of North Texas can apply for undergraduate scholarships from the Department of Economics.
All you have to do is fill up this form which automatically considers you for any scholarship available and for which you meet the criteria.
Read here for a step-by-step guide on how to apply.