Indian students hoping to study in the UK are hopeful about their prospects as visa application centres open up nationwide. If you are getting a UK student visa in India, the new On-Demand Mobile Visa service could make your life a lot easier.
United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI) — the division of the Home Office responsible for the country’s visa system — introduced this measure to help students cope with COVID-19 restrictions in India. Student visa applications were halted as processing centres went into lockdown. As it stands, Indian students can apply for Tier 4 visa at Ahmedabad, Bengaluru (Global Tech Park only), Chandigarh, Chennai, Jalandhar, Kochi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai (Mahalaxmi only), New Delhi (Shivaji Metro Stadium only), and Pune.
UKVI is doing more to ease and expedite processes. It assures that you can “go through the entire visa application process without leaving your home, office, or school campus” in a single home visit from its staff.
How to get UK student visa in India delivered to your doorstep
Here are some things you should know:
- Complete your visa application form from GOV.UK before the visit. If unsure, you can also request personalised assistance — but not all locations offer this additional support.
- VFS Global staff will take all required biometric information including photo and fingerprints with authorised, sanitised equipment.
- You will have your temperature checked before the start of the biometric enrolment process. You must be 37.3°C or below to proceed with the appointment. Be sure to check your temperature before they arrive, because you will still be charged for the appointment even if your application is not filed on that day.
- You must wash your hands or use hand sanitiser before and after the appointment, and before submitting your biometrics.
- You must remove your mask for the photograph.
- The cost of the service depends on your location and the size of your group. One individual pays 9,900 Indian rupees while a group of more than 30 only pays ₹5,500 (including courier return of your processed documents) per person. Therefore, On-Demand Mobile Visa is best suited to groups, including families and student groups.
- Booking the On-Demand Mobile Visa does not guarantee you will get your Tier 4 visa fast-tracked or approved.
Fill out this form to book an appointment to get your UK student visa in India, or to request more details about the service.